Monday, December 31, 2012

2012?

It has been an arduous climb for me. Not a proud to for a guy to say, to admit going though the dumps in life. I think it was a phenomenal decision to move out of home and to live alone at NUSH. I plugged myself from wallowing in my own shit and forcing myself to do something about it; something different.

Definitely enjoyed the freedom of living alone.

I tried new stuff, signed up for Spanish classes, attended my first friend's wedding as part of her band, taught friends how to play guitar, went for 3 awesome concerts, dragon boating with my boys, interned at Keppel, got accepted into SEP! And countless number of other wonderful things that happened to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Spanish classes and its a real pity I have to pause it for SEP. Its like pausing one dream to fulfill another so i guess i should not complain right? Maria was a tremendous teacher, especially for one that just arrived in Singapore and not have a complete grasp of the English language, she still managed to get through to us, teach us and bring much laughter into the classroom.

Keppel was as phenomenal as it was humbling. I got to work with and alongside both the upper management and the lowest workers and clearly see how different it is. Though I would not say that I am promising to change anything, I can now understand how they feel, as foreign workers in a country that does not want anything to do with them. With that new found understanding, comes a greater deal of respect that I believe I have held as a child. Still remember the days in Rosyth, in the school bus whenever a truckload full of workers pass by the school bus, I will always wave to them to say hi. This internship also kind of sealed my decision to want to work in the oil and gas industry, of course the money is great, but more importantly I find it exhilarating. Lets hope this fire doesn't fade.

NUSH was definitely a huge part of me this year. Of the random outings to brunch/lunch/tea/dinner/supper, the movie outings that we often are late for. Guitaring, drinking and nights spent at 7a was memorable. Of course there were the nights of solo drinks, with different people and doing different stuff. Nights with Edric, i will never forget how a simple night of supper turned out to be so different. haha.

Of course these are just scratching the surface of a fantastic year. One that I have not had for quite a while. It really goes to show how life can sometimes be a pleasant surprise.

Of course I have to thank the people who have made a significant difference to my life.



Yang Shun who has always been there since forever, your US stint may have been rough for the first half of it, but with the ushering in of 2013, I sincerely hope for your time there to improve for the second half.

Bhavesh, the unexpected buddy from army. I mean, who would have known that two strangers meeting on the first day of enlistment who both are not in the list of recruits will hit it off on the bench outside the platoon office. Thanks for the constant encouragement throughout this year.

Susan, funny i met you as well as the nush family in such 'unwilling' circumstances. I mean if that 183 and 96 did not fly by just as I exited the church gate, I am pretty sure things will turn out very much differently. I can not thank you enough for the countless stuff you have gotten for me, and seriously its damn paiseh to take. But you know me, I will take one. haha. Not that I am thick-skinned, I just dislike the weird rejection of a taker and the persistent push of the giver. Well, all I've got to say here is, keep your head up, keep your cool and be a friend with a heart but a leader with a head.

Kim, u are not as helpless as you think you are, which you probably know. Its been nice knowing you through the past year. Even if it seems that everything is bad, remember that there will always be beauty left in this world. Have a good 2013.

Miko, keep your head up. you are a strong girl, and you have tons of people supporting you. if you need 7a, just message me anywhere. hahaha. even though there will not be anymore surprise koi, but i'll be just 12,906.3km away. =D. have a good 2013, fellow level 7 neighbor.

Lion, you know how hard it is to ask you out? hahaha. you are always flying all over the place, literally! You are so awesome! All the best for your internship and eat till your hearts content over there! =)

Serene, it has been 11 years. We;ve seen each other grow up and been through all each other's ups and downs. I know you will always be there if I ever need you and you know I will do the same for you.

Elaine, 9 years is a pretty long time too. Ever the optimist and God fearing, you immense faith in God extends to other people as well. I look forward to the day to play guitar under your leadership again. Thanks for being the rock I hold on to in times of need.

Ben, a true brother who never gives up. You've grown to become a man, one that I respect. I take pride in knowing that you look up to me, and all I have to say to you is its time for you to be the one that others look up to now.

Weishun, the bossman! Its been a great 2 and a half years with you. Just like Bhavesh, we are two people who were strangers yet somehow manage to find each other. To many more years of friendship!

There are definitely many others and from the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you. So as I usher in the new year with my parents, enjoying chili crab while watching Gurmit Singh hosting yet another event, I bid 2012 farewell with a heavy heart. At the same time, I look and move forward into 2013; and what better way to start it by accomplishing a trifecta of my childhood dream, to visit Spain, to visit Nou Camp and to visit Emirates stadium! Here's to end of the night, and the year; Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment