Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Today I made a new friend. His name is Sammy, a 60+ year old indian forklift driver. At first, when he did not speak, he had on a face full of apprehension, one that makes you not want to approach him. But after speaking with him, it totally is different. Why does he have a special mention here?

i needed help with some lifting thus i approached him. He said he had to clear some cables to the welding store first and i said fine, i will meet him back at the fabrication lot after he is back. In that short span of time, my mentor told me to change the plan as there was no space to place the lifting. As such, i was to tell Sammy that he will meet me at the same spot again the next morning to complete this job. When he returned, i could see he was rushing back, eager to help; when he reached he told me he rushed over as fast as he could, even though i told him there was no rush. That was when i told him the updated news about postponing the job. He did not even batter an eyelid and just said ok, and that he will be around the fabrication lot in the morning and gave me a thumbs up.

such a can-do attitude, and no complaints.

even for myself, a little part of me inside will be screaming, why the hell did you waste my time, but for Sammy, there was no such vibe; with that age-weary smile and the good thumbs up, he is totally fine with it. There is so much we can learn from the so-called foreign workers that we tend to have prejudice against. yes, they may not be as refined in speech or actions, but their attitude and character, most of them at least, are top-notched. I have no qualms with speaking broken simple english, i find a sense of satisfaction in getting my message across and being able to understand them as well.

Oh yeah, i got yoguru. hahaha. a small reward for a long day at work. and it was so near too. The new J-cube has a yoguru branch so i went over after work. Its been a while since i went out alone and just walked by myself. I shall do it soon. Just blend into the crowd and observe people all around.

because my thoughts keep converging towards the same one.

Rambling.

Nite. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment